Sunday, 13 May 2012

Orange Halva Cake for Mother's Day

                 

I was flicking through another of my Margaret Fulton supermarket recipe book purchases from 1982 and came across another little treat I thought would be perfect for Mother's Day.  We were off to my mother-in-law's for afternoon tea and decided to take this cake with me.  I do however tend to leave things until the last minute so there was a bit of puffing and blowing from the man as he watched the clock tick away waiting for the cake to cool before adding the cream to the top.  So I ended up taking the cake and cream separately and dressing it up when we arrived.

Sugar and Butter
Fresh juice 
As this is a ring cake I hunted the night before for an appropriate tin (in case I had to make a dash to the shops to buy or make calls to borrow) and actually dug out 3! which I can't remember buying at all!  Anyway they are quite old and not non-stick so I think they must be hand-me-downs. As I am not a fabulous baker I had slight reservations about this turning out, I could see myself trying to prise the cake from the ring.  Bravely I pushed through the hesitation and continued, and I am so glad I did.

 I even got to use my new zesting plane instead of grating the orange rind - good tools do make some jobs a joy.

In true retro style the hardest job was creaming the butter and sugar which I did by hand, ( I tried to employ the man for a bit of muscle power but he was useless and said he had weak wrists! any excuse). I do sometimes find that old fashioned methods are very satisfying and I give myself a little pat on the back for persevering. Well if I don't who else will?

Zest add

Cream ingredients
Fold in Semolina 

 Ingredients
Cake Mix
185g (6oz) butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
3 eggs beaten
11/2  cups semolina
11/4 cups ground almonds
3 teaspoons baking powder
Orange Syrup
Syrup
   1/4 cup caster sugar
   5 tablespoons water
   2 tablespoons lemon juice
   1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
   2 tablespoons chopped candied peel (I used finely chopped rind and some extra long peelings that I       removed later
   3 tablespoons orange juice

   Decorate
   1/2 cup cream whipped
   1/4 cup flaked almonds toasted (keep your eye on these as they catch very quickly in the oven).

Method
  • Cream butter and sugar together with grated orange rind until light and fluffy.
  • Beat in the orange juice and eggs, then fold in semolina, almonds and baking powder.
  • Turn into a greased and floured 9'' (23cm) ring tin (fearfully I over engineered part)
  • Bake in a preheated very hot oven 220C (425F) for 10 mins (as my oven is fan forced - 9 mins)
  • Bake for a further 30mins (25mins) at lower heat 180C (350F)
  • For Syrup - Place sugar, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and peel in a pot and bring to the boil, stirring.  Simmer until slightly thickened, then add orange juice
  • Turn the cake onto a serving plate straight from the oven.
  • Pour over the hot syrup slowly until all is absorbed.  
  • Leave to cool.
  • To serve, fill centre of the ring with whipped cream and sprinkle with almonds.
  • Serves 10.

I was amazed at how easily my cake turned out of the tin, it just plopped out so quickly, mind you I had been zealous with the greasing and flouring. I was very pleased with the result, so pleased in fact that I am entering this in this month's AlphaBakes Challenge hosted by Caroline over  at Caroline Makes... and More Than The Occasional Baker which is "H" this month so Orange Halva Cake fits in well.

 
I hope all Mothers everywhere had a wonderful day!

40 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely. Sometimes the old fashioned methods seem like a good idea at the time (i.e. not having to drag out the food mixer - not having enough room in the kitchen for it to sit on the work top) - but then again - sometimes the effort is worth it! It always fascinates me how you find a baking tin and wonder when you bought it and what for! I do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely cake and will definite make it again. The cake tin was perfect the cake just slipped out - I was amazed.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely cake, I may well try it in one of my Bundt tins, I am always looking for successful recipes for them!
    I baked your marvellous Anzac biscuits and sent them to my son in Afghanistan, he loved them and wants more. I have put them on my blog, with a link to your recipe. Thank you so much, I will be baking them again this week. Jude x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your son loved them - that is so nice to know. Thanks for giving me a little mention. Jude I couldn't believe how perfectly the cake just fell out of the tin.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes - what a lovely entry. The cake looks delicious especially with the syrup on top. So glad it came out of the tin easily as it looks beautiful :) Definitely perfect for mother's day and I hope your mother-in-law was pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law thought it looked lovely and tasted great.

      Delete
  4. I hopped from Kit's blog and the name of your cake fascinated me.I read your recipe carefully and yes I find this unique and interesting with a batter of semolina and ground almonds.Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice for you to have a look at my blog Balvinder - it was a lovely cake and much appreciated by all.

      Delete
  5. this is a beautiful blog. I love halva and would never have thought to make a cake like this. Will try out in summer here I think xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps have nominated you for an award on my blog http://www.workinglondonmummy.com/2012/05/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for nominating me for an award will pass it on with pleasure.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful looking cake. It would be so delicious with that syrup. Your mother-in-law is blessed to have a daughter-in-law who bakes. And yes, I have had the toe-tapper at the door waiting with car keys in hand for us to be able to leave but I just have to get the dish out of the oven first! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fact this doesn't have flour in it..with all that delicious syrup I bet it's even better the next day. Really moist and sweet. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there had been any left I am sure it would have been lovely - but we ate it all!!!!

      Delete
  9. I love the shape of this cake & the lovely orange syrup that you've topped with! Looks lovely & appetizing! I'm sure your MIL was very happy to have this lovely Mother's Day cake! A very interesting recipe with semolina too! I have never bake with it before & would love to try this soon! I still have a lot to learn about baking. Have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cooked with semolina either and I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  10. Oh...yummm this looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd never heard of a halva cake before - I'm learning a lot from Alphabakes! Thanks for entering. The cake looks delicious and I'm sure your mother in law was impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Caroline, so nice of you to leave your comments - Alphabakes is a lovely little challenge isn't it.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful cake - I LOVE anything with ground almonds!!! So glad to have found your blog and signing up to follow!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Mary, thank you for dropping by - hope to see you again!

      Delete
  13. I love just about anything with orange or lemon. This cake sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - hope you get to try it it was lovely.

      Delete
  14. What a SUPER cake to make for Mother's Day......LOVE any cake with citrus in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it would have been lovely the day after - unfortunately there was none left!

      Delete
  15. Oh, this looks so delicious. :) Thank you for sharing it with us. I know now what I'll prepare this weekend for dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful cake! I adore Halva so to capture it here in a cake is so wonderful. I too have been doing a lot of 'by hand' baking recently and find it so satisfying. I would have been nervous too with the cake tin but it was clearly worth the effort. Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, I see you have been using a bit of muscle in the kitchen too lately. I was relieved it turned out so easily, so much so I will have no hesitation making it again.

      Delete
  17. Oh I love halva and have had many different flaovurs inc. lime, but never orange or in the form of a cake. This is utterly delightful and beautifully turned out too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome recipe. Definitely making it soon. I bet the halwa must've tasted divine with orange flavour. Love your blog. Totally following you from now on :D
    Have a nice day!
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anuja thank you for leaving your comments. If you get around to making this I am sure you will not be disappointed. I was very happy with the results.

      Delete
  19. Looks like an absolutely delicious cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It was such a successful cake.

      Delete
  20. Sounds lovely, though for some reason I was expecting the cake to contain carrots. The Orange syrup sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I noticed that you have lots of yummy recipes on your page and I would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs.

    If you want to add your food blog for get more visit traffic to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blog

    Hopefully hearing from you soon,

    Thanks,
    Sakkarin Sº
    info@alldishes.co.uk
    www.alldishes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete