Thursday, 28 June 2012

Creamy Rice Pudding and Strawberry Jam


Creamy Rice Pudding and Strawberry Jam

I couldn't wait had to go to the bookshelf straight away! No. 49 Jamie at Home - 407 pages......oooooh the anticipation..........203 a picture of a spiders web on wheat emmmm 204 Creamy Rice Pudding with the quickest strawberry jam! Yeah yeah baby! I love rice pudding the man hates it! I'll have to say I had to cos Dom told me.... 2/6/12


Jamie Oliver
But here I am scraping in by the skin of my teeth again to enter the  Random Recipe Challenge for June  hosted by Dom at Belleau Kitchen.  Still, as I have the kitchen to myself tonight, which doesn't happen all that often I thought I would treat myself to some rice pudding and shoot it off to Belleau Kitchen.

This is such comfort food (which the man calls Depression Food as in Post War Food). And to add to the sixth sense of it all,  this is what I ordered the last time I visited the Oliver family pub (with my sister and very best friend) for lunch at "The Cricketers Arms" in Clavering, Essex back in 2008 when I bought this book - it still has the receipt from lunch tucked in the front. Don't you love it when little pieces of story all seem to fit together.
This serves 6 to 8  its easy to cook and no bother to prepare.
                   
 For the rice pudding
1.2 litres organic whole milk
(my fridge only housed a new local milk from the Great Ocean Road whose slogan is Milk from cows with a view - I thought that would be good enough)

200g pudding rice

2 tablespoons of vanilla sugar ( I used normal sugar with a couple of drops of vanilla essence)

Place milk rice and sugar in a deep saucepan.
Bring to a medium simmer and put the lid on.
Cook for half an hour, stirring occasionally until it is thick and creamy.  Add a drop more milk if it gets too thick.

For the Jam


1kg strawberries, hulled, washed and drained
150g caster sugar

Place strawberries in a wide, stainless steel pan and sprinkle with the sugar.

Scrunch the strawberries up with your hands, really pushing them between your fingers to pulp the mixture, which will start to look like jam.  This felt amazingly good! And I licked every finger! It was a wonder it made it to jam - cos it was good enough to eat straight from the pot.

 Make sure the sugar has dissolved into the strawberry juice before you bring it to the boil.

Simmer for 20 - 30 mins on medium heat 
Every 5 mins or so skim off the foam and then it is done - perfect. 

Jamie scrunched some meringues over the top of his to serve, but mine was pretty good without any topping. So good in fact I nearly burnt my tongue on the swirl of hot jam as I couldn't wait for it to cool to taste it.  There was plenty left - jam into jars for the future and rice for breakfast in the morning. 


20 comments:

  1. mmmm... spiders web on toast.... you are SO lucky to have picked this delicious recipe this month... and to get to make strawberry jam too, when this is so in season right now... pretty ideal if you ask me!... funnily enough I used to hate rice pudding but I am slowly converting to it... lovely stuff... thank you so much for taking part this month and for your lovely comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders didn't really hit the spot but this rice pudding on the next page - that was another story. As we get older I find our tastes change? Although the man has yet converted to rice pudding or liver! Both of which I love. Love taking part in the challenge even if I do leave it till the last minute and love reading your blog.

      Delete
  2. I like the way we all get creative. Rice pudding is just my all time favorite and like you I keep experimenting by adding different flavors to it. Love your strawberry jam on top of rice pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all need a little challenge to bring out the best in us. Thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  3. The strawberry jam sounds super, I'll definitely have a go t that, but it's a tad too hot for rice pudding t the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This jam took such little time (or heat) that I am sure you could suffer that even if you don't get to the pudding. Mind you I like rice pudding cold too!

      Delete
  4. This is simply delicious with homemade strawberry jam! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad sometimes that I am the only one in the house that likes some food which means there is more for me!!! the jam won't last long though.

      Delete
  5. I remember when rice pudding was on the outer because it was considered poor man's food, steaming from the depression. My mother wouldn't cook it because it was about the only dessert she was ever given and she had horrible memories of it being gluggy and stodgy. But what you have created here is a wonderful dessert (far from gluggy and stodgy) that I would absolutely adore (especially at this time of the year where the weather is so cold and unpleasant) and it would be absolutely magical with that gorgeous jam swirled through it. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate the whole lot myself! How terrible is that! It was lovely though.

      Delete
  6. Saw this on Dom's Roundup for this month and thought "I don't remember seeing this" - so clicked on to your blog and saw the reason why! Left it to the last minute again!! Still, it was worth it - and lovely to be reminded of a lovely day we had back in 2008 - can hardly believe it was 4 years ago, but then I suppose it must be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I seem to be rushing from one thing to another lately, but I just scraped in with this one. I think I had it with rhubarb that day at lunch. It was such a lovely lunch and Sandra not being able to remember if she had made rice pudding or not! Poor thing.

      Delete
  7. Ultimate comfort food. Yumm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and don't forget that strawberry jam that is really worth trying. So nice of you to comment Debby.

      Delete
  8. BEAUTIFUL Photos and a LOVELY pudding recipe, I ADORE rice pudding with jam and this is so LUSH looking! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen thanks for commenting - this was so yummy I am making it again this week - have to use my jam up.

      Delete
  9. Rice pudding is absolutely the best - and the jam looks wonderful - LOVE this!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary I so agree - nice to see you come by.

      Delete
  10. Hi again.

    It's Debby here from cooking up a storm in a teacup. You asked about an eye balm in your comment over on my blog. I'm not an expert but I do have a recipe for a natural eye cream. It's not meant to be medicinal just to prevent dark circles and wrinkles. I use it often and have lots of allergies. Feathers, dust, animal hairs and grasses all make my eyes itchy and I can use this and find it quite cooling. As long as you aren't allergic to any of the ingredients you might like to try it...

    You can link to it here: http://cookingupastorminateacup.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/recipe-for-success.html

    I think that chilled cucumber or chamomile tea bags are really good too.

    Hope your itchy eyes soon get better.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete