Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Glazed Ling with Sweet and Sour Shallots

Ling with Sweet and Sour Shallots and snipped chives
A little bit of "Simply Red" to cook by 


The man felt like chinese food as he always does! And then as if he read my mind said 'Let's give the Random Challenge a go'. The book came down from the bookshelf,  being an April baby it was no. 4  - a Gordon Ramsay book "Healthy Appetite". I haven't cooked from this book much and I don't know why (well I do know why cos, I have a bit of a thing about Gordon, like some do about Nigella. His TV shows have been done to death, to the point where now I can hardly stand him). Having said that, each time I have cooked from this book the recipes have all been really well balanced, flavoursome, restaurant quality meals. How can I fault that. The man flicked open the book randomly.
Ling! .......Ling? what is Ling? A fish, but what fish?

We went to our local fishmonger to see what he could recommend.  The Rockling caught my eye immediately, it looked really lovely and fresh. I asked for Ling not realising that it was one and the same. How silly did I feel. Anyway its a nice firm white fish from the cod family, so if no Ling is   available cod or whiting can be easily substituted.

 I laid the Ling out on the bench and cut it into four even steaks. Then set about putting together the sauce.  Funnily enough this has a definite asian feel but not too fishy or complicated and simple and easy to cook. So don't be afraid to give it a go.

Ingredients
4 skinless Ling fillets (Rockling) about 170g each
a little olive oil for oiling
60ml light soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
100ml white wine vinegar (I just used white vinegar)
50g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, lightly crushed
3cm knob of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
400g small shallots peeled
75ml dry white wine
150ml fish stock (I had mine in a bottle)
small handful of chives snipped.


What to do.....
Lay the fish in a lightly oiled large baking dish - set aside
Put both soy sauces, vinegar and sugar in a pot and stir over a low heat to dissolve the sugar
Increase the heat and and add crushed corriander, pepper and ginger

Boil for 8-10 minutes until liquid has reduced by half.
Leave to cool

Heat the oven to 180C
Blanch the shallots in a pot of boiling water for 10 mins until tender, then drain.


Pour the soy sauce mix over the fish in the baking dish and cook in the oven for 5 mins until the sauce begins to caramelise.
Add the shallots to the fish and add the white wine and fish stock.
Return to the oven and bake for another 6-8 minutes until the fish is just cooked through.

Transfer the fish to a warm plate and cover with tin foil to keep warm (approx 5-10mins).

Tip the remains of the baking dish, onions and sauce into a pot and boil for 10 mins until reduced to a sticky sauce.
Place the fish on warm plates and spoon over the shallots and sauce.

 Garnish with snipped chives.


It was yummy yummy!

I decided to serve this with some side dishes of steamed rice and quickly stir fried Pak Choy or chinese greens.

Stir fried Pak Choy
Heat a wok or frypan  - glaze with a little olive oil
Add a splash of hot water so that the wok sizzles
Throw in the Pak Choy and quickly stir fry, stirring continuously until the greens start to wilt.
Drizzle a little sesame oil just before you take the greens from the wok - easy and still a little crunchy.

I am entering this in Belleau Kitchens Random Recipe Challenge No. 22 random birthday numbers.





26 comments:

  1. This dish looks delicious. Just like one you would get at a Chinese restaurant and the recipe sounds quite healthy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ling... now there's a thing i've never heard of but by god i'm going to hunt it down if it tastes as good as it looks... fab entry and fab cook book... thanks so much for taking part, it's lovely when you find the time and I do love having you on board. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, glad I got going early this month. The ling, actually, rockling is quite a common fish here except the penny hadn't dropped. Not sure what it might be called in UK.

      Delete
  3. It looks fabulous and very professional - but what does Ling taste like? Is it very "fishy"? Might try it with a different fish - haddock? skate? Are there any bones in Ling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a strong fish and the piece I bought was filleted and I pulled out a couple of big bones before I cooked it. And the cooking time meant it was perfect. If you don't like cod what about whiting?

      Delete
  4. I haven't bought any Gordon Ramsay cookbooks because in as much as I admire his cooking ability, I can't stand the way he treats others. He is so rude and vicious - the complete opposite of my favourite celeb chef, Jamie. What contrasting characters! You can warm to Jamie and I just can't warm to Gordon. But, this is a great recipe - there is no denying that xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean. I stood behind him in a queue at Heathrow airport a couple of years ago - there were only 3 of us in the line and he couldn't stop looking round to see who was recognising him!!! But the food the food that can't be denied!

      Delete
  5. I only have one Gordon Ramsey book, because I can't stand his self importance. However, the recipes are amazing and very achievable. Much like this one - it looks great. I've never heard of Ling or Rockling, but a great cod recipe. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean about poor Gordon (I am feeling sorry for him now that I have put him down!)but he is certainly not a bad cook!

      Delete
  6. Oh yum...my family absolutely loves Chinese food - thanks! Also, I'm making your choc. chip muffins today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and hope you love both recipes.

      Delete
  7. I have never her of Ling fish. Now you got me curious. I am going to see if I can get it here. I want to try this recipe. Thanks my dear for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very interested to know if you can get this fish in your part of the world or if it is called something different. Try it I am sure you would love it.

      Delete
  8. My grandmother used to cook ling a lot and I actually love it! This looks like an amazing recipe and I also love the photos too. We get ling and rock in the UK, I suppose rock is what you call rockling, lovely! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very confusing when things are called differently things around the world - also interesting. Now you come to mention it my grandmother used to cook rock every Friday! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  9. I guess this is the genius of the random recipes challenge, what an exciting recipe that you might never have come across otherwise! I love the flavors in this one, and I'm always looking for new ways to cook fish. I've heard of Ling cod before, but don't think I've sen it at our markets. I'm assuming I can substitute cod, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes apparently ling is part of the cod family, so cod would be fine. Before I joined in the Random Recipe Challenge my books sat on the bookshelf crying to be taken down and opened, now there is no feeling of neglect. There is even a little bit of excitement now when I take down a new one and cook from it for the first time. Hope you are having fun with it too.

      Delete
  10. I would never have guessed that to be fish, it looks so darkly decadent and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabitha if you like asian flavours you will love this.

      Delete
  11. At first I thought Ling must be a typo because I had never heard of it! I would never have guessed it was fish!

    It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it either - seems we learn something new everyday I should thank Gordon Ramsay for this one.

      Delete
  12. This looks delicious! I've had Ling a couple of times, and it is lovely - the Chinese approach sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth you are one of the few people who have ever heard of Ling! So glad you like it - thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  13. I love your Chinese glazing sauce for the ling! Just beautiful and I am sure it was delicious. We are lovers of fish of all kinds (and Asian flavors) so I will definitely be giving this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog Stacy - I do so hope you give this a go I am sure you will love it.

      Delete