Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Pumpkin, Pineapple and Prune Cake


I think I am addicted to pumpkin, it is one of my most favourite vegetables. It is in season and I can't get enough. Not only is it beautiful and orange, it is  good for you. I love it roasted, boiled, mashed, in soup, in pies and cake! So when I randomly happened upon this lovely sounding cake in the Australian Women's Weekly magazine while waiting to see the osteopath recently,  I thought it not only delicious but could also tell myself it was healthy! So I whipped out my little notebook from the handbag and jotted down the recipe. 
The great thing about this cake is that I had everything in my cupboard, the measurements are mostly in cups and it is simple to put together with very little mixing or effort. My sort of baking, little effort for a nice result. This little cake serves 10 and takes approximately 1 hour of prep and cooking time.


Ingredients
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon bi-carb soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup course grated butternut pumpkin 
1/2 cup chopped prunes
1/2 cup canned crushed pineapple (drained)







What to do .....
-Preheat oven to 190C (170 fan forced)
-Grease 20 cm round cake pan and also line with baking paper - mine was a spring form pan that made it easy to remove
- Sift flours, sugar and bi-cab into a bowl
- Add oil, eggs, pumpkin, prunes and pineapple
- stir together until well combined
- spread mix into pan and bake for 35- 45 mins (or until cooked) depending on oven- test with skewer.
-Let cake stand in the cake tin for about 5 mins before turning onto a rack
This moist cake also had a lemon glaze that I decided not to make as I am trying to cut down on the sugar intake, but if you are not in fear of sugar  here it is.

Lemon Glaze
1+ 1/2 cups icing sugar
15g soft butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water

- sift sugar into a heatproof bowl, stir in butter, lemon juice and enough water to make a firm paste
- stir over a small saucepan of simmering water until spreadable
- spread over cooled cake.

Un-iced cake is suitable to freeze.





See other pumpkin recipes here - Pumpkin and Choc Chip Muffins








I am entering this into Random Recipes Challenge over at Belleau Kitchen as my healthy and happy bake this month.

18 comments:

  1. That's lovely. I must say that it's rare week when I don't eat a butternut in one form or another but this cake is a new variation for me. I quite understand about cutting down on sugar but I may not be able to resist the lemon glaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to meet a fellow pumpkin lover. You will have to tell us how it tastes with the lemon glaze.

      Delete
  2. This looks scrumptious. Great combination of fruits and veg. I usually end up making a pineapple upside down cake using my mum's recipe when I open a pineapple as there is always a bit left. I've never baked with butternut pumpkin (we call it squash over here) but we eat tons of them like you and Phil. I love them roasted in salads or soup...mmm... They are so sweet that they would have to be a great cake addition, I don't know why I hadn't thought of using them before.

    That's another one of your recipes I plan to make. I still haven't made the ones with crystallised ginger. I haven't had much time for baking recently but as soon as I have a spare Sunday I'll try out some of these.

    Thanks for sharing.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to take the time to pop by. This one was a definite hit and so easy to put together, you could squeeze it in I am sure.

      Delete
  3. I love the look of this cake. I make a pumpkin and prune cake. The pumpkin does make a cake deliciously moist xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is lovely and the pineapple in this one is not overpowering. Come on share your recipe too.

      Delete
  4. such an unusual combo but I can totally see how this would work... pumpkin has the most wonderful velvety quality when baked in cakes so I can just imagine how wonderful this is... a lovely healthy and happy random recipes entry, thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I agree, but I was so impressed with the result I thought it was perfect for your situation. I was a little anxious about how the raw pumpkin would perform, as I have always used cooked pumpkin, but I was pleasantly surprised. So much so this is going to be my "easypeasy go to cake" from now on.

      Delete
  5. omg yum!! never thought of prunes as ymmy before this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but they made the cake lovely and sweet. Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  6. Prunes - sweet? I was going to say that the cake looks particularly good but if I made it I would have to leave out the prunes. I was thinking of posibly substituting dates - what do you think? They might be much too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prunes were chopped to the size of a sultana and so you only had a little taste in each slice. Dates might make it too chewy rather than moist - you could leave them out all together I suppose - but I was pleasantly surprised that all the ingredients worked so well together and not at all prune like. So good for your digestion.

      Delete
  7. I love a good excuse to eat cake. Healthy ingredients (several of them) are great excuses to tuck into this treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to be a cake person, but the older I get the sweeter my tooth! So now I am looking for cakes with little sugar and alternative ingredients - this one ticks all the boxes.

      Delete
  8. A DELECTABLE cake and a real custard cake, as well as a dainty tea time cake too......maybe we can share that bowl of custard you were talking about Denise! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When next I am in the UK you'r on. In the meantime the custard with have to be "virtual".

      Delete
  9. Denise, Have the pumpkin, prunes, but not the pineapple in the pantry. A quick trip to the local supermarket and I'll make it a Sunday bake. Thanks, it looks delicious.
    Susie at HillHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Susie, your comment was much appreciated. Engjoy!

      Delete