Friday, 24 January 2014

Stir Fried Chicken with Cashews




Kylie Kwong gets a fair run in our house.  By that I mean her book is forever down off the bookshelf.  If you have all the ingredients in your pantry (which I do - one whole shelf is fully stocked with asian goodies) the rest is simple. Preparation is most important in all her recipes so it pays to read before you start! The cooking is so quick so you need to have everything measured and chopped before you start. This serves 4 as a main or 6 as part of a banquet. This is a virtual dinner I am cooking and sending to my sister for her birthday. Happy Birthday Jen!
Ingredients

Marinade
2 tablespoons of shao hsing wine (or dry sherry)
2 tablespoons of cornflour (cornstarch)
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon sea salt






Main dish
800g chicken thigh fillets
1 medium sized cucumber
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup unsalted roasted cashew nuts
6 cloves of garlic ( which seems like a lot I used 3 very large cloves) finely diced
2 tablespoons shao hsing wine (or dry sherry)
2 teaspoons of sea salt
3/4 cup finely sliced spring onions

(this can be quiet salty so reduce the amount of salt by half or to your taste but it will need a certain amount of salt to balance the dish so don't forget to taste before serving)




What to do…
Combine the Marinade ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix to a smooth paste.
Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and mix thoroughly into marinade, cover and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes. 

Cut the cucumber in half length ways and scoop out the centre seeds with a teaspoon. 
Place cucumber cut side down on the board and slice thinly and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok until it shimmers add half chicken mixture and quickly stir fry for 1 minute.
Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside and do the same with the remaining chicken.

Pour into the wok the rest of the oil and stir fry nuts and garlic over a medium heat (ensure the garlic does not burn by stirring constantly). 
Cook for 30 seconds then add the  chicken.
Increase the heat
Pour in wine and cook for 30 seconds
Add salt and cook until chicken is cooked through or lightly browned
Add cucumber and most of the spring onion (reserving some for garnish)
Stir through for 10 seconds.
Arrange in a dish sprinkle with spring onions.
Serve with rice. For all you chicken lovers out there looking for a yummy stir-fry, do yourself a favour, try this. Yumo! 








12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of making a virtual meal for your sister's birthday...It's a shame that you can't beam it over to her in a star treck like way. I love all nuts but cashew's are amongst my favourites. This looks really delicious, very colourful and quick to make. I will definitely try this, so thank you for sharing.
    Have an amazing weekend.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a shame I couldn't be there for her birthday. Happy house hunting

      Delete
  2. What a great recipe - my family will lap this up! lovely flavors, healthy and delicious
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect recipe for Chinese New Year, next weekend. I have it bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have that book and I cook from it all the time. This cashew chicken dish is one of my favourites! I serve it with the 'mum's fried rice'. It's so tasty isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an addictive book with so many good recipes. Really must make mums fried rice soon.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I just knew you would like this especially with all your little Chinese themed treats you have been making lately.

      Delete
  6. Well thank you! We've, surprisingly had a bit of a chinese theme going on here - when I first read this post I was watching TV - Bill Granger was making a chinese chicken dish, then I read this post, and we went to our local Chinese for dinner Saturday night! I don't quite know what to make of all these coincidences - particularly as I don't often eat chinese! And of course Chinese New Year later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny is that - funny how themes/vibes run in a little series. Would have liked to have dished this up to you in person!

      Delete