Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Chicken Schnitzel with Cucumber and Dill Salad


I have not been one to cook a lot of fried food and definitely not with the added calories of breadcrumbs. But after all the Christmas leftovers were used up and we were still in holiday mode, I enjoyed some time pouring over my new Christmas cookbooks and these chicken schnitzels by Annabel Karmel from her book Annabel's Family Cookbook, caught my eye. 


The cucumber salad accompaniment topped off a lovely balance of flavours too.

This dish turned out to be quite inexpensive, quick, easy with not too many ingredients which  hit the spot nicely on all fronts.


Ingredients (plenty for 2 - could feed 4 for a light lunch)
2 skinless chicken breasts
50g plain flour
2 medium eggs beaten
100g white bread
11/2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
30g grated parmesan cheese
Some vegetable oil
Butter
Salt and Pepper


What to do……
Put the chicken on a board cover with cling film/glad wrap and hammer using a rolling pin until quite thin.
Slice each breast in half.
Put flour in a shallow dish
Whisk eggs in a separate bowl
To make the breadcrumbs - tear the bread into pieces and put in a food processor with the herbs and the cheese, process until it forms crumbs. Tip into a shallow bowl. 
Lay the chicken in the flour and cover both sides and then dip in the egg and season and then into the crumbs, press firmly on both sides.
Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan
Fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side (in batches if required) then set aside.

In the meantime make the cucumber salad.


Ingredients
1 cucumber
1 1/2 tbsp freshly chopped dill
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp light olive oil





What to do …..
Top and tail the cucumber
slice in half lengthways, then into thin half moon shapes.
Place in a bowl with the dill.
Mix all the dressing ingredients together and put over salad
Serve the hot schnitzels beside the cold salad.

Lovely! and not too fattening after all the christmas over indulgence. 


11 comments:

  1. not a fan of that Carmel woman but the schnitzel does look rather wonderful and I do LOVE a cucumber salad. Hello heavenly dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unfamiliar with Annabel's persona - so I can't say if I like her or not - but I was very happy to receive her latest cookbook for Christmas - it is lovely and fresh looking and I have a few recipes picked out to try next.

      Delete
  2. I do love homemade chicken schnitzel. What a gorgeous looking meal and yes, Annabel has some fantastic recipes - she's an amazing cook xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cookbook is quite simple yet enticing - I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure I'd know where to dive in first, the schnitzel or that dill salad --- what a wonderful light winter meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of summer holidays in Bavaria visiting family there. I must make some next time Hannah comes home...this was always her favourite if we ate out. I will check out the book. Thank you for sharing. Happy cooking. Debx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the parmesan crumb and the lovely light cucumber salad. Perfect light delicious food to beat the Christmas indulgence :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. It always amazes me how many a chicken breast will feed when battered a bit. I love cucumber salad, this one looks really fresh and tasty. GG

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fresh cucumber salad must be a really lovely match for the chicken and lighten it up a bit. I love how tender and juicy the chicken is looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for Aussie food blogs!

    I'm currently hosting a giveaway and would love for you to enter! You'll find the details here - https://www.facebook.com/butterandjamblog

    ReplyDelete
  9. I´ve been back a few times so see if you have taken any new snapshots of your world. They were a lovely addition to your recipes. Hope you are well and looking forward to a good summer.

    (p.s. I totally agree that hot cross buns are too good to be kept just for Easter :) )

    ReplyDelete