Thursday, 3 September 2015

Baked Southern-style Sticky Ribs



Winter is still with us even though technically we are three days into spring! It seems to have been a long long wet winter regardless of our lovely warm European jaunt in the middle of it.

It has been a big year for me...one of celebration…first the big 60 and then a Ruby Wedding. After I got over the 60th surprise party! (I was intending to let it slide by quietly, but the man had other ideas!) We spent a few weeks deciding what type of celebration was fitting, having spent 40 years married to each other. We were well into May before we decided we would head back to the UK and celebrate our anniversary with family and friends who were at our wedding in 1975.  

As my parents are now living in Brentwood  Essex we decided on the Nags Head for a garden party as it has a perfect back patio garden surrounded by fields.  So on Sunday 5th July (in 1975 Arthur Ash won Wimbledon some guests had a tiny transistor in their suit pocket listening to the game while we were saying our vows!) we had the most perfect little English garden party, with speeches and cake and a few champagnes while the sun shone.




Since we have been back in Melbourne I have done nothing but moan about the weather - the only good thing about it being cold  is I can have the oven on to my heart's content and so these sticky  beef ribs were absolutely no trouble to make. Cooking time is 3.5 hours and the recipe is for pork ribs (I had beef and it was just as good). Serves 6  

Ingredients
2 large onions thickly sliced
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
6 rashers of bacon
2kg of ribs cut into serving size portions

Sticky Glaze
2.5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of American mustard
juice of 1 small orange
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1.5 tablespoons molasses
3/4 cup muscavado sugar
3 tablespoons tomatoepaste
4 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 teaspoon tabasco
freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of ground cloves

What to do….
Preheat oven to 150C.
Put onions, bay leaves and peppercorns in the base of a large roasting tin, lay ribs on top.
Cover evenly with a single layer of 6 bacon rashers.
Pour over 3 cups of water.
Cover withtin foil so the steam cannot escape, cook in preheated oven for 2 hours and 45 mins.
Remove from oven and increase temp to 180C. 
Combine the remaining glaze ingredients in a small saucepan, whisk till smooth, bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, for 2 mins, then remove from heat.
Remove ribs, onions, and pour off liquid.
Place bacon on the bottom of two foiled lined roasting tins.
Brush ribs liberally with glaze and place on top of bacon and cook uncovered for a further 45 minutes, brushing regularly with the glaze until the meat is very tender and the glaze sticky.
Give the ribs one last brush with the glaze before serving with the bacon, onion mash accompanied by baked potatoes and sour cream.





14 comments:

  1. Can you believe that I have never before made ribs? (:o!!) And what fun! 40 years married? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your 60th and your ruby wedding anniversary! I love your wedding photo - you look gorgeous and so young! I'm glad your husband organised a celebration. What beautiful looking ribs - I do love sticky ribs! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to be young! Good ribs even if I do say so myself!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to see that you are writing again. I pop over often and am disappointed. This is a lovely treat. I'm not sure how I missed this before. But better late than never.
    Double congratulations. What a beautiful bride and I can still see that beautiful face carrying the cake. I hope that you have at least another forty years to look forward to.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe. The ribs look amazing. I made Rachel Khoo's Malaysian sticky chicken last night which had similar sticky glaze but using oriental spices. I think would love your ribs I must try them next time we fancy something sweet and sour. I think it would work with chicken too.
    Have a lovely day, I hope it's not too cold for you.
    debx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear from you Debby. Thank you for popping by! Malaysian sticky chicken sounds just as good! Weather is picking up for the weekend maybe a BBQ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny --- I JUST bought ribs to make sticky ribs, now I need to study your recipe! I buy these ready made at our local market, and I really want to know how to make them myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to make these myself so that I know if I want to I can regulate the sugar content. I hope you enjoy them.

      Delete
  6. We had ribs just this lunchtime; aren't they the most gloriously sticky comfort food imaginable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your anniversary and best birthday wishes. Your sticky ribs look absolutely fantastic. I've been moaning a lot about the weather too - this weekend it's cyclonic winds, torrential rain and flooding - I'm not putting a toe outside the door xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for popping over to see me Denise and a belated congratulations and happy birthday wishes too! I love this last recipe of yours and I may make it for the BBQ season here in France!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I have a page to share about Verandah Adelaide which is very nice and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much to celebrate, including these gorgeous sticky ribs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE your wedding photos and a very belated but happy returns of the day for your big 60! I still have 2 years yet! Karen

    ReplyDelete